Every woman wants to look great on her wedding day, but if you are plus size you might be worried that your dream wedding dress won’t be available. The good news is that these days, more designers are taking plus size women into account when they put together collections, and with the option of a custom made dress or custom alterations you can ensure a perfect fit.
Here are some tips for shopping for plus size wedding dresses:
- Think about contacting the dress shop in advance to see if they may have samples in a helpful size for you to try on.
- Trying on potential wedding dresses should be fun so make sure you feel comfortable with the shop you have chosen.
- Think carefully about your materials – flimsy material such as chiffon doesn’t always work well on larger sizes while heavier materials drape better – and styles that will flatter your body shape.
- Pick a design that hides or takes attention away from any parts of your body that you don’t like – for example, if you don’t like your upper arms consider some short sleeves or a cape.
- But make the most of the parts you do like – the structured nature of many dresses with corset tops allows you to really accentuate your curves.
- Consider adding details such as ruching or an accessory to draw the eye to certain parts of your dress
- Invest in some good underwear and wear it to your dress fittings. You could think about using control underwear but make sure you feel comfortable in it.
If you are struggling to find a dress that you like off the rack, then opting for a custom made plus size wedding dress is a great choice. A custom made dress is a one-off piece designed to fit you exactly and can be tailored just the way you want, as well as giving you more flexibility when it comes to materials.